invite you to the online discussion:
Zapad 2021: A Threat to NATO’s Eastern Flank?
10 September (Friday) 2021
11:00-12:30 CEST (Poland)
12:00-13:30 MSK (Minsk)
10.00-11.30 GMT (London)
Topics for discussion:
- What are the stated and assumed real goals of the exercise?
- What is Russia signalling through the Zapad drills and what do they tell us about the state of the Russian Armed Forces?
- What do the exercises say about the prospects of deeper Russian-Belarusian military integration?
- How do the Zapad manoeuvres impact NATO defence and deterrence assumptions and the broader security of Central-Eastern Europe?
11:00 – 12:00 Panel Discussion
- Anna Maria Dyner, Senior Research Fellow, the Polish Institute of International Affairs (PISM)
- Arsen Sivitsky, Director, Center for Strategic and Foreign Policy Studies
- Mathieu Boulègue, Research Fellow, Chatham House
Chair: Marcin Terlikowski, Head of the International Security Programme, PISM
12:00 – 12:30 Q&A with audience
Questions may be posed through PISM’s YouTube channel
Those wishing to participate are kindly invited to join the debate via
PISM’s livestreamed YouTube channel:
This online discussion will be recorded