Russian and Chinese Disinformation Regarding Ukraine
Date and time: 13 December 2022 (Tuesday); 10.30-12.00 CET (Belgium)
Venue: Press Club Brussels Europe, Rue Froissart 95-1040 Brussels
Type of event: In-person public debate, livestreamed and recorded via the PISM YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PolandPISM
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has become another opportunity for Russia and China to conduct disinformation campaigns. China parrots Russia’s anti-U.S. and anti-West narrative, calls for respecting Russia’s “legitimate security concerns”, and mirrors and amplifies false Kremlin-produced messages such as reports about U.S. biolabs in Ukraine. The debate aims to discuss the main disinformation campaigns promoted by Russia and China, examining the arguments they use to distort messages about the situation in Ukraine. In addition, we will discuss the means and methods at the disposal of Russia and China to undermine the trust of EU societies in media and government messages related to Ukraine. Among the questions about these activities we will discuss are:
- What does China-Russia disinfo look like?
- What arguments are used by China and Russia?
- Are there any differences between Beijing and Moscow in the context of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine?
- How effective are the Chinese and Russian disinformation campaigns regarding the war against Ukraine?
- What is our level of resilience to China-Russia narrative warfare (with a special focus on what kind of lessons we as the EU may learn from the “Ukrainian issue”, as the Chinese call it)?
Łukasz Jurczyszyn, Director of the Brussels Office, Polish Institute of International Affairs (PISM)
10:35 – 11:30 Panel discussion
Martyna Bildziukiewicz, Head of the East StratCom Task Force, European External Action Service (EU-STRATCOM)
Justyna Szczudlik, Deputy Head of the Research Office, PISM
Grigol Julukhidze – Director, The Foreign Policy Council, FPC Moderator: Agnieszka Legucka, Senior Research Fellow, PISM
11:30 – 12.00 Q&A session
RSVP by 7 December at email@example.com