The Polish Institute of International Affairs (PISM) Brussels Office and
Slovenian Association for International Relations (SDMO) invite you to an online debate:
EU in the changing world.
Perspectives from Poland and Slovenia
Zoom Webinar Livestreamed via YouTube
Date: 13 May (Thursday) 16.00-17.30
Anticipating Slovenia’s presidency of the Council of the EU in the second half of 2021, we have invited experts from Slovenia and Poland to discuss a selection of current and upcoming global challenges for the EU:
- Demands internally and externally have grown for a stronger and more active European global role. The current European Commission has ultimately defined its geopolitical aspirations. Is the EU capable to retain a leading position in the world? Where is EU as the global player – in the first or the second league?
- The outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic has shaken the political and economic landscape of the EU. Has pandemic become the major game changer of the world order that could jeopardise EU’s geopolitical ambitions?
- Is enlargement in the strategic interest of the EU? If yes, what should EU do? Should EU refocus its external strategies by reinvigorating its neighbourhood policies (Southern and Eastern)? Western Balkans accession to the EU – important priority of Slovenia’s
- Łukasz Jurczyszyn, Director of Brussels Office, The Polish Institute of International Affairs
- Ambassador Marjan Šetinc, President, Slovenian Association for International Relations
- Ambassador Jože Kunič, Honorary President, Slovenian Association for International Relations,
- Melchior Szczepanik, Senior Research Fellow at the European Union Programme, the Polish Institute on International Relations
- Ambassador Mirko Cigler, Member of the Board of the Slovenian Association for International Relations
- Marta Szpala, Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Eastern Studies, Warsaw (OSW)
Chair: Ambassador Marjan Šetinc, President of Slovenian Association for International Relations
Closing remarks by the Chair
Those wishing to participate are kindly invited to join the debate via our livestreamed YouTube channel:
The online seminar will be recorded